Summer at Holy Spirit
Happy Summer to Everyone,
I am sure that it has taken you no time at all to begin to enjoy your summer vacation! The weather this past weekend finally made us believe that summer actually was here! We wait all year for summer to arrive in order to relax and do so many things we put off until the summer! But it is still vitally important that all of our students remain engaged in two important areas of their lives during the summer months. First and most important -- continue to practice your faith! While we are resting and relaxing it is important to continue to make time for weekend liturgy and prayer. Hopefully the down time of the summer removes all obstacles to continue the practice of our faith.
We also encourage our students to remain engaged in the process of learning. The easiest and most accessible way to do that is to read. The iPads make that a very easy process! The summer reading lists have been posted. We have already received calls from the local libraries so they can be sure to have copies of the books on hand - ready to be borrowed! The books can also be downloaded to the iPads. Please keep the list handy and encourage your student to read the assigned books thoroughly and follow the directions. Reading is the most important way to keep the brain active and stimulated and it will also support our students as they prepare to take SAT’s and PSAT’s tests in the fall.
This summer, as in the past, all Math students will be required to complete a Math Packet. Educational studies prove that students lose much of their learning from the previous year if they do not continue to engage their brains in meaningful activity. The students are required to complete the assignments based on the math courses they have chosen for the next school year. Turn a deaf ear to the grumbling and encourage them to work on all of their reading and math assignments. Both the reading and math assignments will be assessed by the teachers in September according to the posted guidelines.
A few reminders:
- Our summer hours are: Monday – Thursday 8:00 am – 3:00 pm beginning Monday, June 25. We are closed on Fridays beginning July 6 through August 24. We will also be closed for the 4th of July holiday on Wednesday and are extending the holiday on Thursday, July 5th. Have a happy and safe 4th of July weekend!
- We have begun working on the Master Schedule. All students registered for classes in March and as was stated at the time we expect them to remain in the classes chosen. If your student feels he or she needs to make a course change, please contact Mr. Smith, in the Dean of Students Office, no later than Monday, July 16 to request a change.
- Information about Service hours for the next school year may be found under the "Summer Service Opportunities". Service hours for the upcoming school year may begin and be completed during the summer. Please encourage your son or daughter to get out and do a little good this summer!
- We are under requirements from the New Jersey Department of Education to follow a specific protocol for student physicals. All freshmen and all student athletes must have a completed physical on file before the school year or sport’s season begins. The physical is a multi-page document. It needs to be completed by both parents and a licensed physician, advanced practice nurse (APN) or physician assistant (PA) who has completed the Student Athlete Cardiac Assessment module as part of their ongoing professional development training. You may pick up a copy in the Main Office or print the Athletic Health Forms.
- The uniforms worn by our students must be purchased from Flynn and O’Hara Uniforms. The particulars of the school uniform may be found in our Parent-Student Handbook. Flynn and O’Hara will be at Holy Spirit on August 2, 2018 from 3:00 until 7:00 pm with their Trunk Show. Representatives will be available and you may purchase your uniform or specific pieces during the Trunk Show. If they are unable to complete your order, it will be mailed without cost to you if you order during the Trunk Show. Please check the flyer and make your appointment! You are reminded that the only acceptable pants for boys (or girls) are the Flynn & O’Hara khaki pants.
- FACTS Tuition Management – All families must be registered with FACTS. More information may be found on our under the “Admissions” tab. If you are in need of tuition assistance and have not already done so – please apply with the FACTS Tuition Management Company before July 6, 2018. Please register and follow directions which may be found at factstuitionaid.com.
- Please be sure to check back often throughout the summer for regularly updated information!
Have a relaxing, renewing and safe summer! See you in September!Sincerely,