Important Summer Information
Happy Summer to Everyone,
I am sure that it has taken you no time at all to begin to enjoy your summer vacation! The weather this past weekend finally made us believe that summer actually was here! We wait all year for summer to arrive in order to relax and do so many things we put off until the summer! But it is still vitally important that all of our students remain engaged in two important areas of their lives during the summer months. First and most important -- continue to practice your faith! While we are resting and relaxing it is important to continue to make time for weekend liturgy and prayer. Hopefully the down time of the summer removes all obstacles to allow you to continue the practice of our faith.
We also encourage our students to remain engaged in the process of learning. The easiest and most accessible way to do that is to read. The iPads/Chromebooks make that a very easy process! The summer reading lists have been posted. We have already received calls from the local libraries so they can be sure to have copies of the books on hand - ready to be borrowed! The books can also be downloaded to the iPads/Chromebooks. Please keep the list handy and encourage your student to read the assigned books thoroughly and follow the directions posted on the website. Reading is the most important way to keep the brain active and stimulated and it will also support our students as they prepare to take SAT’s and PSAT’s tests in the fall.
This summer, as in the past, all Math students will be required to complete a Math Packet based on the class they will be entering in September. Educational studies prove that students lose much of their learning from the previous year if they do not continue to engage their brains in meaningful activity. Please turn a deaf ear to the grumbling and encourage them to work on all of their reading and math assignments which may be found in “Summer at Holy Spirit” ! Both the reading and math assignments will be assessed by the teachers in September according to the posted guidelines.
A few reminders:
- Our summer hours are: Monday – Thursday 8:00 am – 3:00 pm beginning Monday, June 24. We are closed on Fridays beginning June 28 through August 23. We will also be closed for the 4th of July holiday on Thursday. Have a happy and safe 4th of July weekend!
- We have begun working on the Master Schedule. All students registered for classes in March and as was stated at the time we expect them to remain in their chosen classes. If your student feels he or she needs to make a course change, please contact Mr. Smith, in the Dean of Students Office, no later than Monday, July 15 to request a change.
- Information about Service hours for the next school year may be found in “Student Life”. Service hours for the upcoming school year may begin and be completed during the summer. Please encourage your son or daughter to get out and do a little good this summer!
- We are under requirements from the New Jersey Department of Education to follow a specific protocol for student physicals. All freshmen and all student athletes must have a completed physical on file before the school year or sport’s season begins. The multi-page document needs to be completed by both parents AND a licensed physician, advanced practice nurse (APN) or physician assistant (PA) who has completed the Student Athlete Cardiac Assessment module as part of their ongoing professional development training. You may pick up a copy in the Main Office or print a copy from “Athletics” tab.
- The uniforms worn by our students must be purchased from Flynn and O’Hara Uniforms. The particulars of the school uniform may be found in our Parent-Student Handbook on our website. Flynn and O’Hara will be at Holy Spirit on August 1, 2019 from 3:00 until 7:00 pm with their Trunk Show. Representatives will be available and you may purchase your uniform or specific pieces during the Trunk Show. If they are unable to complete your order, it will be mailed without cost to you if you order during the Trunk Show. Please visit the flyer on Summer at Holy Spirit in order to make a specific appointment. You are reminded that the only acceptable pants for boys (or girls) are the Flynn & O’Hara khaki pants.
- FACTS Tuition Management – All families must be registered with FACTS with banking and/or credit card information for monthly debit provided. More information may be found in the “Admissions” tab. If you are in need of tuition assistance and have not already done so – please apply with the FACTS Tuition Management Company as soon as possible. Please register and follow directions which may be found at factstuitionaid.com
- Please be sure to check the Holy Spirit Website often throughout the summer for regularly updated information holyspirithighschool.com.
As I close this letter, I take this opportunity to sincerely thank you for entrusting your children to Holy Spirit High School and to me. It has been a privilege to serve as principal of Holy Spirt for the past 10 years. Your children have helped me get up each morning to work with them and for them, to cheer them on, to applaud for them and even call them to accountability when necessary. Please continue to believe in the value of a Catholic education ~ it has been a wonderful career and I will always cherish my days at Holy Spirit!
Have a relaxing, renewing and safe summer!
Miss Susan W. Dennen