iPad / Chromebook Acceptable Use Policy & Program
Holy Spirit High School (HSHS), through a gift from the Parker Family Foundation, is providing to members of the freshman class, an Apple iPad or Google Chromebook. The iPad/Chromebook will be yours to keep after graduation from Holy Spirit. The iPad/Chromebook will be used at Holy Spirit following the rules and regulations set forth in this policy.
Freshmen students and parents are required to review this document and sign the accompanying agreement to protect the hardware and software inherent with this technology.
Technology resources at HSHS are provided for the purpose of supporting the educational mission of the School. The School’s goal in providing the iPad/Chromebook is to promote educational excellence: by facilitating resource sharing, innovation, research, creativity, communication, increased productivity, and mobile learning.
Use of these technologies is a privilege that carries responsibility and behavioral expectations consistent with all school rules and policies, including but not limited to those stated in the Student-Parent Handbook. It is understood that members of the HSHS community will use all types of computing devices and the School’s network in a moral, responsible, ethical, and legal manner at all times.
HSHS retains dual possession along with the student of the iPad/Chromebook and related equipment. The iPad/Chromebook will be issued to students according to the guidelines set forth in this document. HSHS retains the right to collect and/or inspect the iPad/Chromebook at any time, and to alter, add, or delete installed software or hardware.
The use of the HSHS technology resources is a privilege, not a right. The privilege of using the technology resources provided by the school is not transferable or extendible by students to people or groups outside the school and terminates when a student is no longer enrolled in the school.
This policy is provided to make all users aware of the responsibilities associated with efficient, ethical, and lawful use of technology resources. If a person violates any of the User Terms and Conditions named in this policy, privileges may be terminated, access to the school’s technology resources may be denied, and the appropriate disciplinary action shall be applied. The HSHS Acceptable Use Policy shall be applied to student infractions.
Violations may result in disciplinary action up to and including suspension/expulsion for students.
When applicable, law enforcement agencies may be involved.
- Receiving Your iPad/Chromebook - iPad/Chromebooks will be distributed at the beginning of the school year during “iPad/Chromebook Orientation.” Parents & students must sign and return the iPad/Chromebook Acceptable Use Policy and Pledge documents before the iPad/Chromebook can be issued to their child.
- Students who transfer, withdraw, are suspended or expelled from Holy Spirit High School (HSHS) during the school year, must surrender the iPad/Chromebook upon termination of enrollment. Failure to return the iPad/Chromebook will result in transcript being held. In addition, a theft report may be filed with the Absecon Police Department.
- Students are responsible for the general care of the iPad/Chromebook they have been issued. iPad/Chromebooks that are broken must be taken to the Technology Office (Room 151) for evaluation of the equipment.
B. General Precautions
- The iPad/Chromebook is school property and all users will follow this policy and the HSHS acceptable use policy for technology.
- Cords and cables must be inserted carefully into the iPad/Chromebook to prevent damage.
- iPad/Chromebooks must remain free of any writing, drawing, stickers, or labels that are not the property of HSHS.
- iPad/Chromebooks must never be left in an unlocked locker, unlocked car, or any unsupervised area.
- Students may not use “skins” to “personalize” their iPad/Chromebooks.
C. Carrying iPad/Chromebooks
- Students are responsible for providing a protective case for the iPad/Chromebook that has sufficient padding to protect the iPad/Chromebook from normal treatment and provide a suitable means for carrying the device within the school. The guidelines below should be followed:
- iPad/Chromebooks should always be within the protective iPad/Chromebook case when carried.
- Care should be taken when placing the iPad/Chromebook in a backpack that books, workbooks or other personal items do not damage the iPad/Chromebook.
D. Screen Care
- The iPad/Chromebook screen can be damaged if subjected to rough treatment. The screens are particularly sensitive to damage from excessive pressure on the screen.
- Do not lean on the top of the iPad/Chromebook when it is closed.
- Do not put anything near the iPad/Chromebook that could cause pressure on the screen.
- Clean the screen with a soft, dry cloth or an anti-static cloth. Use no cleaners of any type.
- Do not “bump” the iPad/Chromebook against lockers, walls, car doors, floors, etc. as it will eventually break the screen.
E. Using Your iPad/Chromebook at School
- iPad/Chromebooks are intended for use at school each day. In addition to teacher expectations for iPad/Chromebook use, school messages, announcements, planners, calendars and schedules may be accessed using the iPad/Chromebook. Students must be responsible to bring their iPad/Chromebook, fully charged, to all classes, unless specifically instructed not to do so by their teacher.
- Students who repeatedly (three or more times in a quarter) fail to bring the iPad/Chromebook to school or maintain a fully charged battery will be subject to a parental meeting and potentially further discipline.
- iPad/Chromebooks Left at Home - If students leave their iPad/Chromebook at home, they are responsible for getting the course work completed as if they had their iPad/Chromebook present. Loaner iPad/Chromebooks will not be available to students who forgot to bring their iPad/Chromebook to school or failed to charge their iPad/Chromebook.
- iPad/Chromebook Undergoing Repair – Students will be provided with textbooks in the event that their iPad/Chromebook is being serviced or repaired.
- Charging Your iPad/Chromebook’s Battery – iPad/Chromebook’s must be brought to school each day fully charged. Students need to charge their iPad/Chromebooks each evening. The iPad/Chromebook may take up to 5 hours to fully charge.
- Passwords - iPad/Chromebooks will be password protected. During orientation, each student will choose a 4-digit password. This password will not be kept on record with the technology department so students should choose a meaningful but not obvious password. Students are prohibited from sharing this password with anyone else except their parents.
- Screensavers/Background Photos – Students may choose an appropriate
- Photos – Photo/image storage on the iPad/Chromebook should be for school projects. Storage of student’s personal photos or downloaded images is discouraged. Any additional storage fees for photo/image storage must be incurred by the student.
- Music, Games & Apps –
- Care should be taken when downloading music, games or additional Apps since the storage capacity of the iPad/Chromebook is limited and must be available for textbooks, workbooks and other articles instructed by the teacher to be downloaded. Any additional storage fees for music, games or apps must be incurred by the student.
- Printing – School printing services are available on a very limited basis and arrangements should be made for students to print required work at home.
- Home Internet Access – Students are encouraged to sync the iPad/Chromebook to their wireless networks in their home to assist them in completing assignments at home.
F. Managing Your Files & Saving Your Work
- Saving Your Work – Students will receive specific instruction regarding how to save their assignments. Individual’s work/assignments will need specific Apps which are on the list of approved Apps.
- HSHS makes no guarantee that the school wireless network will be up and running 100% of the time.
G. Software On iPad/Chromebooks
- Originally Installed Software - HSHS will synchronize the iPad/Chromebooks to contain the necessary Apps for schoolwork. The software/Apps originally installed by HSHS must remain on the iPad/Chromebook in usable condition and be easily accessible at all times. From time to time the school may instruct the students to add or modify software applications for use in a particular course.
- Periodic checks of iPad/Chromebooks will be made to ensure that the iPad/Chromebook is being used appropriately. Students may be selected at random to provide their iPad/Chromebook for inspection whether in person or remotely.
- If technical difficulties occur or inappropriate Apps are discovered, the iPad/Chromebook may be restored from backup. HSHS does not accept responsibility for the loss of any Apps or documents deleted due to re-format or re-imaging.
- Software Upgrades – Upgraded versions of appropriate Apps and the IOS are available from time to time. It is the student’s responsibility to perform these upgrades. The iPad/Chromebook should be connected to a power source and have been recently backed up before performing an IOS update. Should there be any questions or problems, do not hesitate to ask in the Technology Office.
H. Parent/Guardian Responsibilities
To be aware of all of the responsibilities and rules outlined in the iPad/Chromebook Acceptable Use Policy. Talk to your children about values and the standards that your children should follow on the use of the Internet just as you do on the use of all media information sources such as television, telephones, movies, and radio.
I. School Responsibilities are to:
- Provide Internet and Email access to all students
- Provide data storage areas through acceptable Apps. These sites may be treated similarly to school lockers. HSHS reserves the right to review, monitor and restrict information stored or transmitted via HSHS owned equipment and to investigate inappropriate use of resources.
- Provide faculty/staff guidance to aid students in doing research and help assure student compliance with the iPad/Chromebook Acceptable Use Policy.
J. Student Responsibilities are to:
- Use iPad/Chromebooks and other technology resources in a responsible and ethical manner.
- Obey general school rules concerning behavior and communication that apply to iPad/Chromebook/technology use.
- Use all technology resources in an appropriate manner so as to not damage school equipment. Damage includes, but is not limited to, the loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, or service interruptions caused by the student’s own negligence, errors or omissions. Use of any information obtained via HSHS designated Internet System is at your own risk.
- Help HSHS protect the iPad/Chromebook/technology resources by contacting an administrator or Technology Office about any security problems they may encounter.
- Monitor all activity on their account(s).
- Turn off and secure their iPad/Chromebook after they are finished working to protect their work and information.
- Print a copy of any email containing inappropriate or abusive language or if the subject matter is questionable, and turn in to the Dean of Students’ Office.
- Return their iPad/Chromebook to the Technology Office in the event of student transfer, withdrawal, suspension or expulsion, or if enrollment is terminated at HSHS for any other reason.
K. Student Activities Strictly Prohibited
- Illegal installation or transmission of copyrighted materials
- Any action that violates existing school policy or public law.
- Sending, accessing, uploading, downloading, or distributing offensive, profane, threatening, pornographic, obscene, or sexually explicit materials.
- Use of sites selling term papers, book reports and other forms of student work.
- Changing of iPad/Chromebook settings (exceptions include personal settings such as font size, brightness, etc).
- “Jailbreaking” of your iPad/Chromebook.
- Spamming – sending mass or inappropriate emails.
- Gaining access to other students’ accounts, files and/or data.
- Use of the school’s internet/email accounts for financial or commercial gain or for any illegal activity.
- Use of anonymous and/or false communications.
- Participation in credit card fraud, electronic forgery or other forms of illegal behavior.
- Vandalism (any malicious attempt to harm or destroy hardware, software or data, including, but not limited to, the uploading or creation of computer viruses or computer programs that can infiltrate computer systems and/or damage software components) of school equipment is not allowed.
- Transmission or accessing materials that are obscene, offensive, threatening or otherwise intended to harass or demean recipients.
- Bypassing the HSHS web filter through a web proxy.
- Students are not allowed to use another student’s iPad/Chromebook.
- Video recording, sound recording or taking pictures of classmates, class activities or teachers is expressly prohibited without specific permission of the teacher.
L. iPad/Chromebook Care
- Students will be held responsible for maintaining their individual iPad/Chromebooks and keeping them in good working order. iPad/Chromebooks must be backed up to the Cloud on a daily basis.
- iPad/Chromebook batteries must be charged and ready for school each day.
- Only labels or stickers approved by HSHS School may be applied to the iPad/Chromebook. This applies to the iPad/Chromebook, the student supplied cover may be appropriately decorated.
- iPad/Chromebooks that malfunction or are damaged must be brought to the Technology Office (Room 151.) The iPad/Chromebook malfunction will be evaluated. All iPad/Chromebooks have been provided with the Apple Care + for iPad/Chromebook protection policy which allows for two repairs during the first two years of ownership ($49.00 repair fee.) Once those two repairs have been used – all repairs or replacement is the responsibility of the student/parent. It is the student’s responsibility to maintain the iPad/Chromebook backup so that it may restored in the event of malfunction or damage.
- iPad/Chromebooks that are stolen must be reported immediately to the Technology Office and the Dean of Students who may determine that a Police report may need to be filed. The Apple Care + for iPad/Chromebook does not cover iPad/Chromebooks which have been stolen. That is the responsibility of the student/parent.
M. Legal Propriety
- Comply with trademark and copyright laws and all license agreements. Ignorance of the law is not immunity. If you are unsure, ask a teacher, parent or in the Technology Office.
- Plagiarism is a violation of the HSHS Code of Conduct. Give credit to all sources used, whether quoted or summarized. This includes all forms of media on the Internet, such as graphics, movies, music, and text.
N. Student Discipline
- If a student violates any part of the iPad/Chromebook Acceptable Use Policy, he or she is subject to discipline as warranted which could result in suspension or expulsion.
O. Protecting and Storing Your iPad/Chromebook
1. iPad/Chromebook Identification - Student iPad/Chromebooks will be labeled in the manner specified by the school and must not be tampered with in any way. iPad/Chromebooks will be identified in the following ways:
- Serial number
- HSHS school label with barcode
2. Storing Your iPad/Chromebook - iPad/Chromebooks should be treated with care. Nothing should be placed on top of an iPad/Chromebook. Students should take their iPad/Chromebooks home every day after school, regardless of whether or not they are needed. iPad/Chromebooks should not be left in a student’s locker overnight. iPad/Chromebooks should not be left in extreme heat or cold. If a student needs a safe place to store his or her iPad/Chromebook, they may check it in with the Technology Office.
3. iPad/Chromebooks Left in Unsupervised Areas - Under no circumstances should iPad/Chromebooks be left in unsupervised areas. Unsupervised areas include the school grounds and campus, the lunchroom, computer lab, library, unlocked classrooms, locker rooms and hallways. Any iPad/Chromebook left in these areas is in danger of being stolen. If an iPad/Chromebook is found in an unsupervised area, it will be taken to the Technology or Dean of Students Offices. In the event that an iPad/Chromebook has been turned into the offices due to not being supervised, the student will be subject to disciplinary procedures.
P. iPad/Chromebook Insurance
Holy Spirit High School in conjunction with the agreement with Apple is providing the Apple Protection Plan which allows a broken or malfunctioning iPad/Chromebook to be repaired two (2) times over the life of the iPad/Chromebook. The student/parent is responsible to take the iPad/Chromebook to an Apple Service Center after evaluation by the Technology Office.
Parents are encouraged to determine whether the iPad/Chromebook may be covered under their Homeowner’s Insurance as a result of theft, loss or accidental damage. All insurance claims must be handled between the family and insurance company.
Q. Cost of Repairs
HSHS in conjunction with Apple is providing the Apple Care + for iPad/Chromebook which allows a broken or malfunctioning iPad/Chromebook to be repaired two (2) times during the first two years of ownership. When the Apple Care + has been exhausted, the cost of repair or replacement is the responsibility of the student/parent.